KlickerUZH v3.0: Experience Points and Levels

This post introduces an additional part of our gamification concept, currently implemented in KlickerUZH v3.0 with the stable release coming up this August.

In addition to normal points, answering questions correctly (in live settings as well as learning elements and micro sessions), obtaining achievements, solving group challenges and many more activities allow to collect experience points. While regular points are collected on a course level, experience points persist across courses and allow students to level up.

As usual, levelling up will be faster in the beginning and then require a growing amount of additional points later on. KlickerUZH v3.0 currently uses the following formula to compute the required amount of experience points for some level i as XP_req(i):

Inverting this formula, the current player level i can be computed from the player’s current experience point balance XP_cur:

These two formulas are modular and allow for easy tuning through constants, which are currently fixed to y_1 = 3000 (XP required for the first level-up) and p = 1. The following figure shows how a variation of those parameters translates to different XP-levels.

The current level and the required experience points to reach the next one are shown to the student on the corresponding page in the KlickerUZH app.